Tuesday 26 May 2015

Zia (Bastion) Fan Art Process

Working on Griffith and Zia prints simultaneously so when I get bored / confused / overwhelmed I can quickly switch on to the other! (Running away from problems for the win!) 


Zia was designed and drawn by the fabulous Jen Zee !



Style references, classical lighting reference.
Image on the bottom left is from Jungah Lee (sp?) 
You can find her brilliant work on dA : http://jungahlee.deviantart.com/

I need posing references cause it's just getting stiff and awkward (Ha ha)

The more I do these posts the more I realize these are kind of like rationales I used to do during my time at ACAD... Some habits die hard I guess (although I never did a rationale in 4th year,)

So obviously this has a long way to go before it's going to complete, I might play around with adding in some of the pets you get in Bastion, but I think generally this is going to be the concept of it. Stark black background with stark bright lighting like in the classical image. 

I also might do a post about studies and photo references, I think it's way more acceptable these days with artists showing their process but it still is a common misconception (in art school anyways) that using references is bad and to be really amazing you have to do everything from your mind (not actually the case). Although I would like to eventually be able to pour everything from my mind to the paper much like Kim Jung, but that requires just a shit ton of sketching, and years of studies and memory studies.

More to come for this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment